Coopers Creek Gisborne Chardonnay 2017
BARREL-FERMENTED GISBORNE CHARDONNAY RATED AS WINESTATE MAGAZINE BEST BUY
- ★★★★★ ★★★★★ 4.43 out of 5 stars.
- RECOMMENDED & BEST VALUE BUYS WINESTATE MAGAZINE
- THIS WINE OFFERS GOOD VALUE MICHAEL COOPERS BUYING GUIDE
- COOPERS CREEK 2017 CHARDONNAY RATED 95 POINTS SAM KIM’S WINE ORBIT
- FAMILY OWNED TROPHY WINNING WINERY
As a young wine, this is pale in the glass with pale gold highlights, As the wine ages, the colour will deepen. The nose is typical Gisborne Chardonnay. It is a delightful melange of peach, nectarine and melon backed with subtle lees and oak characters. The palate is full of fresh fruit character, yet also has richness, weight and length.
Recommended & Best Buys
Michael Cooper Buyers Guide 2019
Partly barrel-fermented, this wine offers good value. Light lemon/green, it is full-bodied, with very good depth of peachy, slightly toasty flavours, and fresh acidity keeping things lively. Drink now or cellar.
The 2017 vintage was lovely in Gisborne, especially the early part of it, when the Chardonnay was harvested. We were able to pick clean fruit with good sugar levels. The juice commenced ferment in tank and then was run off to a mixture of seasoned American and French barrels to complete ferment. The wine then stayed in barrel, on gross lees, for a number of months. This wine is based on fruit from Delwyn and Doug Bell’s vineyard in Back Ormond Road, just outside of Gisborne city. It is all Close 548 which famously is the main clone planted in the famed Cotton Charlemagne Grand Cru vineyard in Burgundy. This is supplemented by Clone 15 Chardonnay from Richard McIntyre’s block in Opou.
Gisborne warm climate tends to produce chardonnays that show well in their youth. That said, with careful, cool cellaring, this wine will gain further complexity into the medium term.
Gisborne, New Zealand
|Cellaring:||Drink now or cellar for 3-5 years|
- y_2020, m_7, d_13, h_15
- bvseo_bulk, prod_bvrr, vn_bulk_3.0.10
- cp_1, bvpage1
- co_hasreviews, tv_0, tr_7
- loc_en_AU, sid_111932, prod, sort_[SortEntry(order=RELEVANCE, direction=DESCENDING)]
- bvseo_sdk, p_sdk, 22.214.171.124
- CLOUD, method:getContent, 267.03ms
- REVIEWS, PRODUCT